Kayaking involves you paddling on water with a small craft – kayak.
It is tagged as a low-impact activity that helps to improve your strength, stamina, flexibility, and aerobic fitness. Kayaking doesn’t have to be boring; you can do it as a hobby while getting the benefits attached to it as well. Kayaking can be done on rivers, in the sea or lakes, whichever one tickles your fancy.
Different Types of Paddling Activities
Flat-water Recreation – This is what comes to mind when people think of the term “kayaking.” It involves just taking a gentle paddle down a very calm river, and it also is all about sightseeing and exploration. Flat-water recreation is best done with a group of friends or family.
Sea Kayaking – Just as the name implies, it involves kayaking on the sea, and this is increasingly becoming a very common sport because it helps improve your aerobic skills.
Ocean Racing – This is a race that is usually done on the ocean. It would be best if you didn’t try this on your first time kayaking trip because it requires a special skill of fitness and strength. However, when you have mastered the act, you would enjoy it better.
Health Benefits of Kayaking
Although kayaking is categorized as a low-impact activity, it has some really great benefits. Specific health benefits of kayaking include:
Improved torso and leg strength. This happens because you make use of your torso and legs to apply pressure when trying to power and control the kayak.
Because paddling is a low impact activity, it doesn’t cause any wear and tear on your joints, as would other types of exercises.
Increased cardiovascular fitness.
Improved muscular strength in the shoulders, chest, arms, and backs because they are the areas involved in the movement of the paddle.
Kayaking can be used as a form of peaceful meditation practice, and can also be an exhilarating experience, depending on what you want and where you are.
Kayaking is a very great way to appreciate the waterways.
How to Prepare For Kayaking
General tips for kayaking beginners
Be a Competent Swimmer – Because paddling involves you tipping into the water frequently, then it would be best if you are a competent swimmer. If necessary, work on your swimming skills before starting on your kayaking journey.
Join An Active Club – One of the best ways to effectively learn the tricks involved in paddling is to join a local club of paddlers. It is very possible to learn a lot about kayaking from reading books, but having a one-on-one practice, would brush up your skills and improve your techniques. Also, it would reduce your risk of sustaining injuries, and you can be more aware of the safety precautions when on water.
Try It Out Before Buying – Paddling can be quite an expensive hobby, so you should consider either borrowing or hiring kayaking equipment before making your personal purchase. When you are certain that you enjoy the feel and you understand kayaking enough, you can make payment for the complete kit.
What Are the Basic Kit for Kayaking
The full requirement of a kayaking kit would depend on the paddling you want to do and the demands of the waterways. Basically, what a normal kit should contain is:
- An appropriate paddle
- Life vest or jacket
- Appropriate Clothing
Items to Take When Kayaking
There are certain necessary supplies to take along with you when you paddle, they include:
- Repair kit
- First-aid kit
- Mobile telephone inside a waterproof casing
- Dry clothes in a waterproof bag
- Drinkable water
- Small packs of high-energy foods
Safety Suggestions for Kayaking
- Learn the mastery of kayaking from certified and experienced teachers.
- Understand how to use a first aid kit, if possible take intensive classes on it.
- You should never go for kayaking without wearing your personal floatation helmet.
- Make sure you have put in adequate preparation and skills for your paddling experience.
- Do not go on your paddling trip alone, and even if you do, ensure you tell someone of your whereabouts and the time you hope to be back.
- Take plenty of water with you to avoid being dehydrated.
- Ensure that all your equipment is in excellent condition.
Things to Note
- The best way to properly learn how to paddle is to learn collectively by being part of a local club
- Kayaking involves you paddling a kayak through water – sea, lake, or river
- Ensure that your skills are perfect for your paddling activities.